Monday 16 January 2012

Not a Good Start

My first race of 2012 ended up being a complete disaster. I was really confident going into the race after some good training sessions out in Iten. My track session earlier in the week had been a little slow but I put this down to the travel and cold weather.

As soon as the gun went in the Stubbington 10km I knew my legs weren't firing on all cylinders as the pace felt too quick, even though it wasn't particularly fast. I managed to stay with Chris Powner and Andy Greenleaf for about 4km but knew I couldn't run any quicker as my legs just felt jaded and heavy. After half way the course turned onto the seafront and in to the wind and when you are already struggling a stiff wind is not a good thing!! I held onto the third position but was not a happy boy at the finish, a week before I had run 10km at 2400m altitude quicker than I ran this race at sea level!?!

The only thing I can put it down to is the return from altitude effect. Quite a few people have told me that you feel great for a few days and then quite heavy for the next few weeks which is exactly how I am feeling right now. Hopefully my legs will return during this week. If anyone else has had this feeling after returning from altitude I would love to hear your experiences.

Not feeling good in the Stubbington 10km

1 comment:

  1. not (yet) experienced the return to sea level myself (currently in Iten for the first time) but from what I have been able to learn from people in the know the first 36-48 hrs are the best, then you will usually experience a downer for the next 12 days before getting back to normal after a total of 14 days.

    Well, hopefully still at a higher level than when you left for the altitude!

    Hope that this makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete