Monday 1 August 2011

Still Injured

Still injured and instead of heading back to Iten as originally planned I'm heading back to the physio :-( After two weeks of no running I headed out on Saturday for a short ten minute test run, all felt good with only a dull ache in my lower back, unfortunately the injury was slightly painful during the rest of the day and after another short 15min run on Sunday and 20mins today I realised the pain was only getting worse and if I pushed things at all I would set myself back considerably.

One good outcome of this injury is I have really got into cycling. It's funny, as I have been running for years I know quite a bit about training, i.e. if someone runs 100 miles a week this is good going, more than 140miles a week is pretty hard core (obviously this applies to distance running not sprinting). But when it comes to cycling I haven't got a clue what is considered "hard" training or a lot of miles, is 50miles a day decent going, or 100miles a day??? I've just been going out on my dads "town and trail" bike until I get bored or I run out of road. Definitely considering getting myself an entry level road bike.

I think if I couldn't cycle or do some sort of exercise I wold go crazy, but none of them give me the same feeling as running, I've just got to take my time getting back from this injury, it's just frustrating not being able run when I am so used to doing it every day....

By the way my beard is coming along nicely, more on this later....

1 comment:

  1. Bike training — tend to measure it in hours rather than distance. Two hours is a decent length ride — in Essex you can cover 45 miles in that time on a decent road bike; in Devon or something where it's really lumpy with lots of corners and steep hills, you'll be lucky to cover 35 miles in 2hrs.
    Use a heart rate monitor and do some basic intervals. 2x20mins within a 2-3hr ride is a pretty popular session. I tend to do steady rides averaging at about 65-70% of mhr, and do long intervals like that at 85% or so.
    Just make sure you're sitting at a decent height too. Sitting too low in the saddle makes your knees hurt after a while.

    ReplyDelete