Saturday 1 January 2011

What a way to start the New Year

New years eve and we are up at 6.30a.m. For our morning run. What I had heard about Kenyan running so far seems to basically correct. They start out at a jog and get progressively quicker. We did 62min this morning and I felt much better than yesterday a;though I still struggled the last ten minutes when the pace picked up a bit.

Had a nap after lunch for an hour or so the met Edwin's sister and cousin who were both really nice (like every Kenyan I've met so far). Edwin then took me up to the viewing point in Iten which has the most amazing views over the Great Rift Valley, it was a brilliant way to end 2010. Whilst we were at the viewing point I had a really good chat to Edwin about his childhood and how when he was in primary school he would get up extra early to go out running so that his family didn't catch him. He is a really genuine guy and hopefully I can return his hospitality one day. Only one run today so it was a big plate of Ugali for dinner followed by some random Spanish soap on TV then bed.

New years day and up at 5.30a.m. For the “long run”. To be honest for me, I couldn't think of a better way to start 2011 than a run along the great rift valley watching the sun rise, awe inspiring. We did 25km this morning and it was most definitely the hardest 25km I have ever run. The last 10km had some really punishing hills, I was very happy to see the end of it. Bread, jam and Chai for breakfast followed by lots of rest........

No comments:

Post a Comment